Category : Casseroles, Stews and Pasta
- 3 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large onions halved and thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 4 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 bag frozen pearl onions
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 lbs. of boneless sirloin or chuck roast, fat trimmed
- ½ bottle of jammy red wine (such as Greg's Zinfandel )
- 28 oz. can chopped Italian tomatoes
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee or espresso
Sprinkle meat with half of seasoning. Heat oil to medium and brown meat on all sides in a large sauté pan. Transfer roast to a high heat crock pot, 300 degree oven or roaster. In the sauté pan, melt butter and sauté onions until translucent. Add carrots and celery with 1 tsp. of seasoning mix. Continue to cook until vegetables are soft.
Add garlic and cook for one minute. Add remaining seasoning, tomatoes, wine, pearl onions and coffee and bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan. Pour over the roast and cook for 4 hours covered.
Check on roast each hour, adding water if liquid evaporates too quickly. Taste sauce and correct seasoning with additional salt/pepper. Slice meat thinly and serve over polenta or pasta. This is best when prepared 1-2 days ahead of time and reheated thoroughly before serving. Makes an excellent leftover sandwich too!